28 Aug Benefits of Virtual Therapy for Teens
In “post pandemic” times, it makes sense why some folks are eager to book in-person sessions when beginning their therapeutic journey. However, for many individuals, virtual therapy can be incredibly beneficial… especially for teens!
Here are 5 reasons why Virtual Therapy can be beneficial for teens.
- Teens are comfortable using technology: Whether it’s for school, or leisure, most teens are used to using technology and computers for many aspects of their lives. Sometimes as parents, we forget that our teens grew up using technology and it is not as complicated for them as it might be for us. Teens are used to communicating with others on the internet, and engaging in psychotherapy online is a great way to teach and practice positive and productive technology use.
- It is convenient and there is increased availability: Many practices have virtual therapists that have availability that in-person therapist’s don’t. After school and weekend appointments are often available. Teens are able to see a therapist right away and clients that live further away can see a therapist without the worries of transportation or travel time. Teens can check in with their guidance counselors at school to
- It can be comforting to do therapy in your “safe space”. Teens experiencing high levels of anxiety or that are affected by their sensory environment can complete sessions from a space where they might have more comfort and control. Teens might feel more comfortable beginning the therapeutic journey from their own space.
- Teens can do hands-on work that can be implemented right at home. Strategies learnt and practiced in therapy can be implemented in the same space. Teens might find it easier to apply the lessons they learn in therapy at home if they were in the same space as they were introduced to them.
- Virtual therapy can increase accountability for teens: While teens face varying levels of independence at this stage in their life, virtual therapy can allow for the autonomy that teens are often striving for as they grow up. They can practice the responsibility of arriving on time, and being prepared for their sessions without relying on their parents for transportation.
If you or your teens are interested in setting up some virtual sessions with our Bloom specialists, we are offering multiple therapists with after-school availability and would be happy to connect with you!